Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Hills, no. MOUNTAINS to climb!

We all have faced challenges in our lives. But today, as I talked to a fifth grade boy, I  tried to remember when I realized I had real challenges to overcome. I know I wasn't ten.

Jamie has been in my office a couple of times this year. His name comes up occasionally as I talk to other kids. He can be rough, and he uses foul language at times. His last name is notorious in the neighborhood as his older brothers are often in trouble and are suspected vandals. Because they're left alone, they get into mischief.  But Jamie is a likable kid. He has bright eyes and owns up to his mistakes. His grades are good, mostly B's, and he is learning to play the cello.

Yesterday, Jamie was disrespectful to staff and had to spend lunch and recess with me today. As we ate lunch together, I found out a little more about Jamie's life. They are being evicted and as of today didn't have a plan for living arrangements. One of the older boys will go and live with "real" dad. Jamie does not want to do that. He's hoping to be able to stay with step dad. Mom has talked about possibly going to stay with a friend or relative. Jamie does not want to do that as he'd have to change schools. He's been at our school for most of his elementary years. Things at home are stressful.

But, I know there are things I cannot change. So we talked about making choices and controlling anger... And then I told Jamie that I knew his teacher really liked him. He looked me right in the eye. I said, "You know, she thinks you have potential. Do you know what potential means?" He shook his head. "Well, it means she thinks you're smart and can be a good student and go to college after high school."  We talked about his grades and what he liked about school. He told me about  his step dad who had his own business, but is back in school and wants to be an engineer.
Then, Jamie said, "My dad graduated from high school. But he didn't really do anything after that. He kind of turned into a bum."

Imagine realizing your dad is a bum. Imagine not knowing where you're going to live. Imagine not being able to count on your parents for support and having to leave the only people you can count on and the routine that you can depend on. Imagine having no control over what will happen. It's more than most of us have ever had to deal with. But, it's what some of our students deal with daily.

2 comments:

  1. WOW! This really shows we need to take the time to talk to kids< I think I would say a few bad words if I had to walk in his shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, building relationships with students is so important. I think having people who care at school motivates students to come and do well.

    ReplyDelete