Saturday, November 6, 2010

First Trimester

For the past 20 years I have been an educator. My first job was to teach kindergarten. Back then, kindergarten was 1/2 day, and I taught a PM class of 26. The next year, I was assigned a first grade class. To do a good job, I had to learn about the reading and writing process, child development, effective teaching practices, and how to use assessment to inform instruction. I was eager to try new techniques with children of all ages, and over time taught second, fourth, and multiage classes.  
Teaching and learning became my passion. I loved it- the set up, the planning, and creating a community of learners. I loved teaming up with other teachers. I enjoyed training student teachers. When given the chance to become a teacher leader, I jumped on it. Soon, I was working 1/2 time as a teacher and 1/2 time for the Curriculum Department in our district. After earning administrative credentials, I was named the Curriculum Coordinator and worked in the central office. I studied content standards in depth, worked with teachers K-12, and researched instructional practices. I attended workshops and conferences. Professional learning was a huge part of my job. It was intellectually stimulating, but I missed being in the schools. I missed the kids.


2010 -2011      In August, I started working as an elementary principal. The man I replaced was well liked by the staff and community. The staff here is fairly cohesive, and despite a student body with high needs, tests scores are good. A great staff, a great school, a dream job.
Nervous? Yes. Confident? Yes and no. 
My job is to be an instructional leader rather than a manager. The mission is to raise student achievement, and boldly go where no woman has gone before at this elementary school: into the classrooms on a regular basis to support teachers to implement a 21st century curriculum. My goal for the year is to be visible and to develop positive relationships with staff, students, parents. 
Friday marked the end of the first trimester. I have faced challenges, encountered some surprises, and have made made progress toward my goal.


CHALLENGES

  • Remembering student names, getting to know parents and keeping up with email has been tough.
  •  I'm still learning the ins ands outs of the school's budget. There has to be something I'm missing as I can't seem to find money for computers and documents cameras, professional development, and field trips! 
  • Use of technology as a tool for teaching and learning is challenging for a variety of reasons.
  • Time to meet with grade level teams and special committees is also in short supply.
  • I need to make sure I'm giving positive feedback to student students and teachers. It's easy to focus on what's going wrong rather than highlight successes.
  • I feel like I'm not doing enough to ensure that my school has quality leadership and effective teachers.

SURPRISES

  • I can think of ways to handle angry parents with PTSD and mental illness. 
  • I like working with "naughty" children who need to refocus or reflect and regroup.
  • Outlook Calendar provides me with an outline of my day, week, month.
  • Some teachers believe they cannot be creative and still deliver the adopted curriculum.

PROGRESS

  • I have been in classrooms every day. The staff is getting used to it, although a couple of teachers still seem nervous when I come in. I have completed 12 formal observations. One teacher thanked me and said that this was the first time in 7 years years of teaching that she was given feedback she could use. 
  • The school secretary is my partner and together we manage the day to day minutia. Thank God, the custodian and lunch staff are capable and efficient.   The para educators at my school are great with the students and support the work of the teachers.  
  • The teachers work hard and are focused on helping students succeed.
A great staff, a great school, a dream job. Nervous? Yes. Confident? Yes and no. 


No comments:

Post a Comment